How to prepare for the NREMT
There is a multitude of ways that you can use to ensure that you have successfully prepared for the NREMT exam. These items range from EMT practice tests to NREMT refresher courses. If you are searching for an EMR test review or an EMT basic refresher course, it is always important to use sources that are reliable to make sure you have the best testing outcome.
Visiting the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians (NREMT) website can help you start on your journey to test preparation. Another highly useful website to include in your emergency medical technician certification study plan is Pearson Vue, which is the NREMT test publisher. Both sources mention that there is not just one book or way to ensure success on the exam, but a combination of the classes you’ve taken, textbooks you’ve used and practice exams that are available.
Best practices for passing the NREMT
- Basic Test Taking Prep:
- Study consistently during the weeks leading up to your exam and don’t try to cram it all in the night before.
- Make sure to eat a balanced meal before your test.
- Dress comfortably, and bring layers.
- Give yourself plenty of time to reach the testing center.
- Use the restroom before testing begins.
- Bring proper identification to the testing location.
- Take your time and read each question carefully twice before choosing your answer.
- NREMT Specific Information
- The test is looking for the BEST answer according to the latest information from the NREMT Practice Analysis.
- Make sure you understand operations in regards to NIMS (National Incident Management System) and ICS (Incident Command System).
- Know your basics and segment categories.
- You can’t skip questions since follow up questions are based on your answers, so take your time and keep an eye out for qualifiers like always, never, or except.
- 15% of the test is pediatric while 85% covers adult items.
- Your 5 topic areas include Trauma, Cardiology, Airway, Ventilation, Oxygenation, EMS Operations, and Medical.
Other resources for study materials include sites such as EMT National Training or attending events like EMS PRO Expo where you can sit in on countless sessions to prep and refresh your knowledge before your exam. With hands-on in-person training and the ability to ask instructors or fellow EMTs about the test, joining an event like this can be priceless.